Monday, July 17, 2017

Diabelli Project 156 - Wind Trio

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This is not the first flash composition I've done in this series for wind trio. In fact, I have five other wind trio sketches posted. What makes this different is the instrumentation. The other sketches were for flute, Bb clarinet, and bassoon. It's a nice combination with all kinds of timbral possibilities.

This one, for oboe, Bb clarinet, and bassoon, has a different character. The two double reeds plus single reed give the ensemble a warmer tone than the flute, clarinet and bassoon combination. In the latter, the flute has a metallic quality to it. For that type of trio, I think of blending three different primary colors.

For this trio, I think more of combining two different shades of the same color (the double reeds), with a separate contrasting but near-related hue (the single reed). The resulting sketch revels in those color combinations with long unisons that gradually break apart.

This combination of instruments has a lot of possibilities, too. I suspect this won't be the last time I'll be using it in this series.


As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment