Monday, July 10, 2017

Diabelli Project 155 - Piano Piece

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week's flash composition is more of an experiment than a "real" piece of music. I had an idea for an upwards-ascending pattern. Once I had sketched out the pattern, I simply played it against itself. Because the piece is set in an odd meter, I had lots of opportunities to have the motif enter at different times without repeating the pattern too soon.

Because it's more of an experiment, I left the stems oriented to their original lines. If I were to make this a piano piece, I would rework the figures so to be more easily readable (like the fifth measure, for example).

Also, for some reason, my music-copyist game was off. I should have gone with three bars per system. It would have avoided that crunched fourth measure, and the empty space at the end of the second system. I promise to do better next time.


As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment