Monday, April 03, 2017

Diabelli Project 148 - Duet for Clarinet and Bass Clarinet 4

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.


This week's flash composition is another movement of a Duet for B-flat Clarinet and Bass Clarinet. Like the other movements, it's relatively simple. And, I hope, fun to play. I envision all of these sketches to unfold into relatively short movements -- between one and two minutes, tops.

This might make a good finale. I've taken a single line melody and chopped it up between the two instruments. Well, it's mostly melody. As you can see, by the fifth measure the bass clarinet's line is providing a little accompaniment. What happens next? I'm not sure. If I were to continue with this single-line fragmentation, I don't think it would go on much longer. Perhaps a contrasting section with a thicker texture?

Hard to say. But now that I have my four movements, I'll start sketching out the full versions. And move on to something different for next week's Diabelli flash composition sketch.




As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment