Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Diabelli Project 146 - Duet for Clarinet and Bass Clarinet 2

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

A few weeks ago I posted the flash composition sketch for a duet for clarinet and bass clarinet (see: Diabelli Project 145).  The next sketch after that also turned out to be for these two instruments. And this time, there's no mystery. It's definitely part of the same work.

I'm not sure how many movements this duet will have. I know they'll be pretty short, and I want them to be fun to play. Beyond that, who knows?

In the sketch below, I've started off with a ground. Traditionally, variations would play out over top of that recurring bass, but with only two instruments, it seems unfair. Why should the clarinet get all the good parts?

So to continue, I'll need to have both players keep the ground going while spinning out the variations, both individually and together. Three lines of music for two single-line instruments. Should be fun.



As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.

No comments:

Post a Comment