Monday, August 22, 2016

Diabelli Project 123 - Piece for String Orchestra

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week I decided to go for something a little more ambitious. Although with only ten minutes allotted, music for larger forces can be a problem. If I was trying to write something along the lines of Thomas Tallis' "Spem in Alum" for 40 voices, I'd probably only get the first beat written before time ran out.

In this case, all I knew was I wanted something for larger forces, and I wanted to start with everyone in unison. Here's what happened:




As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.


No comments:

Post a Comment