Monday, July 18, 2016

Diabelli Project 118 - Wind Trio

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme, these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

This week produced another wind trio sketch during my flash composition session. In a way, it's a continuation of an idea I explored with the string orchestra sketch (see: Diabelli Project No. 115). Like the string orchestra piece, tension and motion are generated by the cross-rhythms of the beat being sub-divided into three, four, five, and six -- and those subdivisions playing against each other.


This is the fifth wind trio sketch I've done in this series, and they all seem to share certain similarities. One of which is that they all seem to be the opening bars of their respective movements. All I have to do is fill them out, and I'll have another completed wind trio.

You may have other ideas.

As always, you can use any or all of the posted Diabelli Project sketches as you wish for free. Just be sure to share the results. I'm always curious to see what direction someone else can take this material.


No comments:

Post a Comment