Monday, November 24, 2014

Diabelli Project 067 - Piece for solo bassoon

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

I finish up my set of solo wind pieces with one for bassoon. Sometime the bassoon is characterized as the clown of the orchestra, but that's really unfair. To my ears, the bassoon has a dark, rich sound that has an edge to it thanks to the buzzing of its double reeds. These flash compositions have a time limit, and I'm glad I was able to arrive at a logical stopping point when time ran out. (click to enlarge)


As with all the Diabelli Project sketches, this piece can be used freely by anyone. So if you know a bassoonist who needs a showpiece....

No comments:

Post a Comment