Monday, November 11, 2013

Diabelli Project 018 - Odd-metered fugue for 2 voices

The Diabelli Project is about offering my weekly flash-composition sketches freely to all. Like Antonio Diabelli's theme these sketches aren't great music. But perhaps (as in Diabelli's case) there's a Beethoven out there who can do great things with them.

I admit it -- I love odd meters. This week's installment features one in 5/8. One thing about the way I write -- I'm very careful about the notation. Beams connect groups of notes for two reasons; readability and to show organization. As you can see, the overall pulse of this fugue is a group of three followed by a group of two. Were I to continue this, I might change that around, perhaps even playing 3+2 against 2+3 at some point. (click on image to enlarge)


But I'm not going to finish this (at least not for a while). And so you're invited to give this sketch your own spin. What do you think happens next? If you complete this fugue, please share your results!

No comments:

Post a Comment