Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Facebook fade

Being a long-time podcaster, I'm quite familiar with the term "podfade." Basically, it's when a podcaster starts to lose interest in his podcast.

If the podcaster maintained a schedule, then the posts start to fall behind. Weekly posts drop back to a monthly schedule, and then degenerate to an occasional post, until finally the whole thing just stops as the podcaster abandons his program.

And, recovering from a major illness, I experienced a little of it myself.

I think though, what I'm really experiencing is "Facefade." I'm not especially upset about the changes to Facebook, I just... don't care that much.

I maintain a number of social media accounts, and try to manage them all as efficiently as possible (thanks Hootsuite!). With the current iteration, I really should go in and sort all of my friends into groups, and reorganize all of the feeds. But I won't. Because some of that sorting out is already happening at the other end, as friends and family put me in the groups they want me in. And because the signal to noise ratio is still pretty good for my unfiltered feed.

And when it comes to posting and checking posts, just like with my other accounts I'm accessing Facebook through an aggregator, so I don't often see the interface that has everyone up in arms. So most of the time, I'm not even on Facebook at all -- I'm just "phoning in" my updates.

So there it is. I still try to do at least one post a day. But my actual presence on the site is shrinking. And if podfade represents a decreasing interesting in podcasting, then I think I have Facefade for sure.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:04 AM

    Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation

    incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.


    CCTV karachi

    ReplyDelete