Friday, November 14, 2008

The Swimming Dirigible

I'm not sure where my fondness for the 1930's comes from (and no, I'm not that old, thank you very much). It partially explains my interest in the pulp literature of the era. And it's part of my fascination with zeppelins and other lighter-than-air craft.

So of course I was instantly distracted by this shiny object.


Air Art from flip on Vimeo.

This regatta was held at the 2008 Airship Convention in Friedrichshafen, Germany. Now that sounds like an event!

I'm fascinated by the way the Fin-Fish swims through the air. It vaguely reminded me of Roger Dean's Schindleria Praematurus, the flying fish/sailing ship that appeared on early Yes album covers. Except the Fin-Fish doesn't have wings. And it's shiny.

But still, what an elegant way to travel (if only).

And it's shiny.

- Ralph

Day 147 of the WJMA Web Watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment